Saturday, July 21, 2012

Training Day 18 - 25 Minutes in Underwear

I ran for 25 minutes today!  I ran a total of 2.26 miles in 25 minutes and I couldn't be more proud :)

Today I also discovered the importance of proper running attire.  More like what happens if you're NOT wearing the proper attire.  Since I don't have any "real" running clothes I've been running in tank tops & whatever shorts I happen to have in my wardrobe already, which is quite limited.  Actually it's 3 pairs of shorts in total.  OK, so it's 2.  And only one is really mine.  The other belongs to wifey and were a hand-me-down from my sister.  This 3rd pair that I put on today I actually bought last summer while I was pregnant with the boy.  Nothing spectacular, just regular mesh shorts I picked up at Target to wear for the end of my pregnancy & postpartum.  Needless to say, they are little on the loose side, and the legs are longer than I have been running in. 

The second I started moving in them I regretted the decision to wear them.  I could not stand the feeling of having shorts that low on my thighs while I was moving!  I was actually surprised by how bothered I was!  I kept trying to hike them up, thinking that this would somehow help or that they would even stay there.  Of course, they didn't.  The waistband was already rolled over twice and there was no way I could go for a third without the waist becoming uncomfortable as well.  And it wasn't the waist that was the problem, it was the legs bothering me.  I knew that there was no way I was going to make it running 25 minutes like this. 

Since I was still in the warm-up walk, I stopped everything, took the shorts off & proceeded to run in my underwear.  Thank God I run in my basement because I don't know what I would have done if I were at a gym or running outside!  Yes, I ran in my underwear and an tank top.

So I think it's safe to say that I need to buy some running gear!  Haha!

And at this point in the program, I have hit the straight running portion, woo hoo!!  Next week it's 3 days of 25 minute runs, the week after is 28 minutes, and the week after is 30 minutes.  We're not that far from completion!!  I'm hoping I can work on my speed a little bit starting next week!  I've been keeping my runs between 5.3 and 5.5, and by the time this is all over I want to be at about a 6.0.  I can't believe we're here already!

6 comments:

  1. I just learned about this blog! Super excited to follow your journey. We will def run together one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks! I was actually going to link to your blog in my next entry...whenever I'm running out of steam, I keep thinking to myself, "50 miles! She did 50 miles!" I should be ready to get some decent races in during the fall (all 5K's though - not ready for anything bigger yet!), so if there's anything that would work out that would be cool :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, that would be great!! I am going to add you to my blogroll too... I am really enjoying reading the back enties and getting caught up. It is really fun watching someone start from scratch. Kudos to you!!

      Delete
  2. My mom and I joke that we become Princesses when it comes to running clothes - we must be comfortable! If you ever see pics of me running, you will notice i run in exactly one type of shorts- nike tempos. I have lots of colors, but only that one style! I also highly recommend Marshalls for cheap running gear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestions - I will have to check them out!

      Delete