Saturday, July 14, 2012

Training Day 14 - The 8's & Too Much Sodium

I kind of feel bad for this workout since it didn't really get the attention it deserved.  Wifey's birthday was on Thursday and it has somehow become a 4 day event so we've been crazy busy and it's been a little difficult for me to get the runs in.  Last night I knew we were having 2 of our friends M & T and my cousin UCH over, so I tried to squeeze in a run before they got here.

Not sure what happened - either I misjudged the length of the workout or they were all early, but only a few minutes after I got into the basement everyone arrived.  So I tried to cut corners a little bit.  I was supposed to do a 5:00 warmup walk like usual, Run for 8:00, Walk for 5:00, Run for 8:00 and then cool-down for 5:00.  But I had to cut out some of the walking to save some time.  I feel a little bad about it, kind of like I cheated, but oh well.  I got through the first 8:00 and was feeling awesome!!  But instead of walking for 5:00 in-between, I only walked for 2:00, and I felt pretty good!  I actually felt like the more walking in-between I did, the more steam I lost.  So I don't know how that's going to go in future runs, but we'll deal with it when we get there.  Got through the second 8:00 run and I was super excited about how great I actually felt!  Yeah, I was sweaty, and it was difficult, but it wasn't BAD difficult.  It was kind of awesome difficult.  Like, "This is tough, but I know I can do it because I'm a rock star" difficult.  And I knew I shouldn't, but I only did a 2:00 cool-down as well, but I made sure I stretched a bunch and made it a point to stretch again later on.

When I was done with the workout I was completely energized & ready to go!  I felt like I could have run a whole bunch more!  But I didn't, I had a great night with our guests instead.  I do think that some of my choices for the evening were mistakes....I made sure to drink 2 big glasses of water right after the run, but then as were were hanging out & playing games around my dining room table, I made the mistake of eating corn chips & drinking beer.  I guess it was a little too much salt for right after a run because maybe 2 hours afterwords, my claves started to get really tight.  Not muscle spasms or cramps, just really, really tight.  And they seemed ever so slightly swollen, along with my ankles.  As soon as I saw it, I switched back to water and did some stretches.  UCH suggested some potassium so I also ate a banana.  I have zero clue about how diet interacts with running, so I'm thinking I'm going to have to start paying attention to this & do some research, like, what to eat & when.  Clearly, sodium in large amounts is never really a good idea, but apparently right after a workout is especially bad!  Note taken!

I'm actually really looking forward to the next run since it's my first really decent size one - 20:00!!  Excited & nervous!!

No comments:

Post a Comment