Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Training Day 12 - The First Falter

Last night was the first time I had to stop a workout early.  I guess maybe I need a break.  I've been going nonstop for a long time now & I am completely drained, both mentally & physically.  Needless to say, I am disappointed in myself.

Since yesterday was a busy day, I again planned to do a night workout.  It was the 3rd & final day of the repeated Jogging for 3 minutes, Walking for 1:30, Jogging for 5 minutes and Walking for 2:30.  At 8:00pm I headed down to the treadmill & I already knew it was going to be a tough night.  At some point earlier in the day, I started getting a pretty intense pain in my side that had yet to go away.  I decided to just run through it, figuring that the exercise might do it some good - it had been two days since my last run so maybe I needed to just work it out.

Bad idea.  The exact opposite happened.  The more I ran, the worse the pain got.  I pushed for as long as I could, and I got almost to the end of the routine - I had 2:00 left of the last 5:00 to run and then the 5:00 cool-down period.  I knew I had to stop the running, so I brought it down to a fast walk for a little while, hoping to just keep moving.  The pain in my side had now become a cramp in my side that wouldn't let up.  Then my vision started to get funky.  I could see it darkening out around the sides of my periphery, and that's when I decided it was time to stop.  I didn't want to pass out on the treadmill in the basement.

I was really upset and disappointed with myself.  I was hoping to make it through the entire workout - It's just the beginning of the week & I have three more to complete on top of this!  And at a higher intensity!!  I was breathing OK, and the rest of my body was holding up fine - or at least I thought so.  Very upsetting.

Luckily, when I woke up this morning the pain went away.  But the rest of me felt like I was hit by a bus.  I had absolutely no energy, it was an effort to just get out of bed.  Something is clearly going on, my body is trying to tell me something.  I don't know if I'm maybe starting to get sick or if the past 2 weeks have just been too crazy with getting ready for the wedding & all of the prep that goes with that, swimming lessons for K, all the summer activities we've been doing, and trying to do 4 workouts a week instead of 3.  Maybe all of it is just too much & I still need some time to recoup.  Even my "rest" days have been filled with tons of activity and I haven't really had a chance to just rest.

So I am going to listen to my body & take today off as well.  I am cancelling my plans to go out today and we're going to have a relaxing day at home.  Well, as relaxing as a day at home with a 3 year old and a 1 year old can be!  I am not happy about it, I don't want to lose momentum, but I feel like if I don't listen, I'll end up needing to take even more time off and I don't want that.  So today is an off day.  If I can do Wednesday, Thursday & Friday, I will be happy with that.  If I need to take Friday off & do Saturday instead, I'm OK with that too.  But hopefully the one day is enough and I can get right back to it tomorrow.

Wish me luck & fingers crossed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment