Monday, September 3, 2012

Running In The Rain

Things got hectic this morning, but I was able to squeeze in a run outside!  Yay!

Since I don't have one of those nifty runners' GPS watches, I went out ahead of time & drove around the neighborhood to clock what 3.1 miles would be.  It's a lot longer than I had realized!  LOL.  I made a few loops, but it was pretty simple to remember.  The sky was a little shifty looking but I set out anyway and figured that if it got really bad I'd just head back.  Since I plotted it out in several loops, I was never going to be more than about 0.75 miles away from the house at any given time.

I set my iPod and the stopwatch on my phone and off I went!  It was CRAZY humid out so I found breathing to be a bit different than I am used to, a little harder but I adjusted.  It started to sprinkle pretty much the second I got out there, but I have to say that it felt pretty good!  Cool little droplets of water randomly misting me made the heat & humidity not only bearable but I was actually enjoying the feeling of the rain on me!

Again, I noticed the effort in my legs.  I have to say that I'm actually still a little sore from Saturday's run!  So I did feel it a lot today.  Other than the tight hamstrings & achy calves I felt really good!  And it was cool to run through our neighborhood!  Each section that I hit had a different smell to it and it was wonderful to soak it all in.  I had to pay attention to my footing because some of the sidewalk I was running on had those little smooth rocks in the cement which were quite slick in the rain.  I still had a hard time setting a pace & sticking with it, but I felt like I did a better job of it today.  There were no hoards of people to maneuver around but there was also nobody else to keep pace with, so it was all up to me.

Unfortunately, I had to cut the run short because the skies opened up on me which was quite the experience!  It was fun to get caught in the rain, but I didn't want to ruin my new sneaks or my beloved iPod so I headed back home.  I will guesstimate that I did somewhere between a mile & a mile and a half in about 15 minutes which I am more than OK with.  If there is a nicer day this week I will hope to get back out there again, especially now that I know my route.

Who'd have thought it would take me this long to get outside??!!

1 comment:

  1. Ahh, runs in the summer rain, love it! Another thing you can try for mapping routes is to download Google Earth and use the measuring tool (set in "Path") to make a route, I do that a lot. You can also got to mapmyrun.com if you want to get a little fancier!
    Sooo happy you are outside!

    ReplyDelete