Wednesday, September 12, 2012

30:53 & Cramping

Wow, I didn't think I'd shave over a minute off of my time tonight but I did!  1:13 to be exact!  I just got it in my head that I was going to be faster tonight and I was.  Started off at 5.7, moved quickly to a 6.0 and spent most of my time there.  I hit 1 mile at 10:16 and was pretty happy with that, though I am looking forward to making it under 10:00.  After 2 miles I moved to 6.2 and then up to a 6.5.  Finished off with a 7 and debated going faster as I was racing the clock to be under 31:00.  I was secretly hoping to make it under 30:00, but my muscles were screaming at me and now is not the time to overdo it so I didn't push too too much.

I had a crazy busy day today and did a ton of walking.  So much so that by dinnertime my right hip & glute were already bothering me.  Not a good sign.  So I decided to do the foam roller before I ran tonight in hopes that it would loosen me up a bit and reduce some of the pain I knew was coming.  I think it worked for the most part; there was pain but I know it wasn't as bad as it could have been. 

2 new(er) things tonight...

1.  Something popped up from my past that I haven't had to deal with in years and years.  The muscle in the arch of my left foot cramped up during the day today and then again tonight.  This used to happen to me all the time as a teenager.  Went to an Ortho and he called it Plantar Fasci-something-itis.  I don't remember the cause of it but I remember pulling my big toe back to ease up the spasm.  So I did again today and tonight and it went away.  Totally weird, don't know what that's all about...maybe I need more potassium?  I'd say water, but I know I over-hydrate as it is.

2.  While walking up the stairs from the basement after my run my right calf & hamstring also cramped up.  Same side as the hip & glute issue. Not sure if this is related to that or the foot thing, even though the foot is on the other side of my body. 

So I'm dealing with some cramping issues.  Again. I have no idea why.  I hope it's not just from overuse, which it could be.  Even though I doubt it's from dehydration I'll up my fluid intake anyway because it can't hurt.  But now I am torn with what to do tomorrow.  I have thought about just running for 1 mile just so that I am doing something to keep myself moving.  I originally wanted to do some sprints and I'm still contemplating that, but if I'm cramping that's an awful idea.  So I'm going to play it by ear and see how I feel tomorrow when it's time to run.  If I end up with 2 days of rest before Saturday it's not the end of the world.  I won't be thrilled and I'll be nervous as heck going into it, but I've had a good week so far so hopefully that will be enough for me to feel prepared mentally.

Anyway, I used the roller again on my glute & hamstrings after the run and after I stretched, and it's already feeling a little better.  So that was definitely worth the $16 that I didn't pay for it!

2 comments:

  1. Boo cramping! Glad you have the roller now, that should help a bunch. I would also suggest you pay closer attention to how your feet fall as you are running. It's likely that you are landing on one side of your foot more than the other, and also using one leg more than the other. Both of these things can cause pain all the way up from the foot into the back. Good luck, and definitely rest if that's what you need!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really?! Good to know! I could feel that I was using my right leg more, but I didn't think it would do this! Will def pay more attention to my feet :)

      Delete