Sunday, August 5, 2012

Training Day 25 - 30 Minutes

It's good to be back in the swing of things!  Today was my first 30 minute run and it went pretty well.  I had it in my head that I needed to take it easier, just to keep me able to complete the run, so I started running at a 5.3.  At about 5:00, I thought about trying to beat my previous time of 1 mile in 10:10.  It would be close, but I knew I had to go faster.  So I kicked it up to 5.5 for a bit and then up to a 5.7, and finally in the last 2 minutes, a 6.0.  By that time though, I was fairly sure I wasn't going to beat 10:10.  And I didn't - I did a 10:32.  Still not bad, but I was annoyed that I didn't try to run faster sooner.  But I remembered that there was a reason I didn't.  Even my 10:10 mile proved to be too fast and I had to slow down quite a bit.  So I went back to my comfort zone of 5.3 for a while, until I could catch my breath.

Went back to 5.5 for most of this run.  Breezed past 2 miles.  I was secretly hoping I could pass the 3 mile mark today, since the runs don't get any longer than 30 minutes, but I knew it was a long shot, especially for today.  With 5:00 to go, I went up to a 5.7, 2:00 up to a 6.0, and the final minute I did at a 6.5.  I was fairly happy with my performance.  My total distance was 2.71 miles.  I was hoping for more, but I will have to go faster from the start if I want to hit the 3 mile mark.

With only 2 more training days left in this program, I'm unsure about how to attack each run to increase my distance.  Do I keep myself in my comfort zone of 5.3 - 5.5 and do spurts of 6.0's & 7.0's with longer intervals than 1:00?  Or do I aim to stay at a 5.7 for longer?

No comments:

Post a Comment