Saturday, June 30, 2012

Training Day 7

Yesterday began a series of runs that start with a 5 minute warm-up walk and then running for 1:30, walking for 1:30, running for 3:00, walking for 3:00.  Repeat and then cool-down for 5 minutes.

I'm not gonna lie - I was nervous about the 3:00 runs.  The 2:00 runs were difficult at times, so adding an entire minute on to it seemed daunting.  For the seasoned runners out there, 3:00 is a breeze, laughable really.  But remember that I'm just starting out from 0:00.  No running at all.  Ever.  Buuuuuuuttt...the first 3:00 wasn't that bad!  When I saw 1:30 left on the clock, I said to myself, "Oh, I got this."  And I did.  I ran for 3:00 straight and I didn't die.  Not even close. I was happy to have that first 3:00 walk though!  Ha!  And I was glad that the 3's were separated by the 1:30's.  The second 3 minute run was a little tougher, but not impossible.  I found myself counting down the seconds and assuring myself that I could do it, and I did.  And I was proud.

Something that bothers me about this program though:  Whatever workout you're doing, it always ends on walking, followed by a 5-minute walking cool-down.  So yesterday, it was supposed to be 8 straight minutes of walking.  That annoyed me.  I'm trying to run; I don't want to walk for 8 minutes!  So after the last 3 minute walk, instead of walking for another 5 minutes, I ran for 4!!  I wanted to go for more, but I was already at a 29 minute workout with a cool-down to go, and I didn't want to keep my daughter waiting for me any longer (I waited for the boy to fall asleep before I ran yesterday).  She was sitting on the couch next to the treadmill with a DVD, and when I looked over during the last minute of the cool-down walk, I saw that she had fallen asleep.  Poor kid.  So I could have run more but didn't know it.  Oh well.  I'm sure I will make up for it! 

Taking the weekend off & then  back to business on Monday.  Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment