Monday, June 25, 2012

Training Day 4

Luckily, my hip pain from this weekend has resolved itself and I was able to start this week's workouts without any reservation.  Today started & ended with 5 minute walking sessions as usual, but instead of 1:00 running and 1:30 walking intervals, it was 1:30 running & 2:00 walking.  I am hoping that the walking intervals decrease over time as well, but I was thankful for the longer "breaks" today!  I'm not sure if it's because I had 2 days off back-to-back or if the additional 30 seconds of running time makes that much of a difference, but today's workout was tough!  I kept my walk at a 3.8 for most of the session & the runs started at 5.0 and went up to 5.3.  I think I might keep the walks at the 3.8 since I struggle to find the pace at 4.0.

R wouldn't go down for an early nap today, and I didn't want to delay things too much longer, so I set up a Pack & Play in the basement, put both kids in it with some water & snacks and let Toy Story 2 entertain them while I kept an eye on them.  It went pretty well as far as the kids were concerned - it's still a novelty to them so they are content to play in the basement for now.  I'm  not sure how much longer this will last, but we'll see how it goes.  I find it tough to have to keep an eye on them and try to run, especially if I have to call to them for anything.  I'm still not completely able to speak while running, but I'm sure with time I'll get there.  On the days when they're not down there with me it's easier for me to get lost in my own thoughts and the workout seems to go by faster.  Today it dragged on & on!  I checked to see how much time I had left and there were still 19 minutes!

K & R in the Pack & Play watching Toy Story 2 on a DVD player set up on our pool table.

Of course, I had to push a little further than the program called for.  When I got to the 5 minute cool-down, I ran for 2:00, walked for 1:00 and then ran another 2:00 followed by the 5:00 cool-down.  Total distance 2.67 miles.  Feeling pretty good!  My recovery time after each session is getting shorter.  At first it took me probably close to 15 minutes before my breathing came down to normal and I was steady on my legs again.  Now all I need is a few minutes to gather myself & I'm good to go.  Mostly because when the treadmill stops, I still feel like I'm moving!  So it takes me a minute to find my footing - kind of like the elevator effect, haha.  But my breathing goes back to basically normal at some point during my final walk.  So I do feel like some kind of progress is being made, though I want to be able to run for longer spurts.  All in good time!

No comments:

Post a Comment