Friday, June 29, 2012

Training Day 6

So, who the heck am I becoming?  I actually woke up at 5:45am this morning to run.  Yes.  Me.  I did. 

If you don't know me, you don't know what a ridiculous idea this is.  I am NOT a morning person.  At all.  I have to lay in bed for a good 15 minutes before I can even think about getting out of it.  And then when I do, I can't quite form sentences until I've had at least one cup of coffee.  And if I have to speak at all, I'm not very nice about it.  It's not pretty.  I know, it's one of my downfalls. 

And when I say I woke up & ran, I literally woke up & ran.  The only prep I did was throw on my glasses, drink some water, and find the iPad so I could use my app.  That's it.  As the workout went on and I began to wake up, I started to realize that maybe I should have brushed my teeth & put on some deodorant, but I guess these are things we learn with time & experience. 

But let me tell you, this was a slap-in-the-face wake-up like I've never had before!  You don't have a choice but to get your body moving and your mind alert because if you don't, you'll fall off of the treadmill!  The first 10 minutes were awful.  I wasn't ready to be awake, I wanted to be laying in my soft, comfy bed, and both my body & mind were screaming at me, "What is WRONG with you??!!"  But if I wanted to squeeze everything I had planned into the day AND get the workout in, it had to be at this ungodly hour of the morning.  And so onward I trudged.  And I survived.

I was on a VERY tight time restraint since wifey needed to get showered & ready for this place she goes to called work, so I couldn't really add on too much extra.  It was the last day of  alternating between 1:30 running & 2:00 walking, so after the last spurt of walking when I was supposed to go into my 5 minute cool-down period, I ran for 2:30 and then walked the rest.  Not my best workout and not my furthest distance so far, only hit 2.28 miles but there's always tomorrow!  (Of which, I am a bit scared - we step it up a little more tomorrow!) Calves are still feeling tight & are firm to the touch, but no pain so no complaint from me!

When all was said & done, I had gotten a workout, showered & was dressed by 7:00am, the time I am usually just getting out of bed.  So it ended up being a pretty fantastic morning.  However, by 5:30pm I felt like I was going to slip into a coma, I was so tired!  It also could have been the day spent in the sun & water, but either way, I was drained!  Hopefully I won't have to have too many of these dawn workouts, but now that I have done one & lived to tell about it, I might not be as reluctant.

No comments:

Post a Comment