Thursday, June 21, 2012

Training Day 2

I happened to have some time earlier in the day today, so I ran in the morning!  The girl (K) was at her last day of preschool, and the boy (R) decided to take a nap during that time, so I knew I had at least an hour and was hopeful that I could get through the whole workout.  On the off chance that he woke up, my back-up plan was to run at night.

I started off the walk today at a 3.5, just below where I ended up walking last night.  It's a warm-up, so you're not supposed to go in there, guns blazing right from the start.  Eventually I settled in to speed-walking at a 4.  Seeing this, I realized I had to increase my run speed as well, since I felt that my walk pace & run pace were too close together, lol.  So I fell into a run at 5.3 and I think I'll probably stay there for a while.

Now, I don't know what was so different today from yesterday....maybe it's because it was the morning instead of the evening...maybe it's because even though I'm in an air-conditioned basement, it's still 102 degrees outside and my body can tell...I don't know...but I dripped sweat like I never have before from exercise!  I mean, it was stinging my eyes, whole shirt drenched, dripping from my chin onto the belt of the treadmill sweat. Real sweat. 

In the past, this has never happened from working out.  Yes, I have been a pretty big sweater in general.  In the summer months, I need to wear a tank top or else you can go ahead and call me Pit Stains McGee (gross, I know).  But I've never been this covered in sweat before, nor has it ever poured off of me in a stream.  My lungs always gave out before I got to this point, so I was actually kind of impressed because this means I'm doing well, I guess!  And, of course, I'm simultaneously disgusted.

Luckily there was no lack of balance today since I discovered that the incline actually worked last night, haha.  I kept it at a 3, because even though I knew it worked, I wasn't convinced it was as high as it "should" be.  But the 3 worked out just fine :)

Today went really well.  When I got to that point of, "Is this over yet??!!" I only had 12 minutes left instead of 18, so I was more than halfway through.  And at the end of the 30 minutes, I had reached 2.3 miles, so I already beat last night's distance.  Of course, having to push myself just a little further, I went for the 2.5 miles and followed up with the 5 minute walk.  Grand total 2.65 miles.

I am finding that the walking portions seem more difficult than the running portions.  I don't know if it's because it's a treadmill, or if I don't have the right pace set, but the walking part is starting to get on my nerves.  It's too fast to just walk normally, so I have to speed walk, which is what the program is calling for.  But my body wants me to run at that speed and I have to fight the urge.  It's also too slow to actually run so again, I am forced to walk and it is uncomfortable.

Tomorrow's goal:  Find a more comfortable walking pace, and a way to keep the sweat from streaming into my eyes and blinding me!  (**Note to self - If I intend on running in the morning, try to avoid hair product as it will only sting more!!**)

No comments:

Post a Comment