Monday, June 25, 2012

Oy, My Hip Flops!

So I stumbled upon a bit of a glitch and I'm not sure if it has to do with the running or the flip-flops I have been wearing, since both started around the same time...

A few weeks ago, I started wearing a newer-ish pair of flip-flops (only wore them once or twice last summer).  I noticed that when I wore them I would get a pain in the top of my foot by the end of the day.  So I stopped wearing them.  And then summer came upon us like a mofo last week and I said screw it, I'm wearing my flip-flops. 

In my last blog on Friday, I mentioned a pain in my right hip from the moment I woke up; Well, it was there when I woke up on Saturday too and it was a bit more intense than it was on Friday.  It got a little bit better as I moved around, but I was happy that I had decided to take the weekend off.  But this Saturday we decided to take the kids to Jenkinson's Aquarium in Point Pleasant.  Of course, since the weather was wonderful and it was a Saturday we had to park about 2 miles away from the aquarium.  No, really, I'm not even kidding.  I've never had to park that far away, ever!  Wifey & I laughed that at least we would get some exercise out of the trip, ha!  But as I walked for what seemed like forever to me at the time, the pain in my hip grew worse & worse.  At one point, I thought that I might even need a break!  But it was incredibly hot outside, I had R strapped to my chest in the ErgoBaby, and K was excited to pet her "friends" (stingrays), so I pushed on without stopping. 

The pain didn't really let up the whole day.  The only reason I wasn't getting too concerned was because it felt absolutely fine whenever I sat down.  Still wasn't sure if it was from running or the flip-flops (I wore them to the aquarium), and I wasn't inclined to think flip-flops were the issue because the problem I had with them in the past was in my foot, not my hip.  Then, things got worse at the end of the day.  We happened to be able to catch a movie, just the two of us that evening, and on the way out of the theatre I found that I was actually struggling to walk.  It felt like my hip needed to pop and it wasn't sitting right in the socket or something.  This really started to freak me out!  I have never had difficulty moving my leg like this before; and it wasn't from pain that I couldn't move it - it physically would not rotate (or whatever a hip does) enough for me to take a complete step, and I couldn't really put any weight on it without it feeling like it was going to give out.  Something wasn't right. 

We made it to the car and I tried to stretch it out.  I did the full range of motion to make sure it actually could move, and it didn't; I couldn't open it all the way up. When we got home it was still bothering me, but I could actually walk now, so I guess the stretching helped.  And as the night wore on I started to hear a clicking in my hip while I walked.  I made the decision to stop wearing flip-flops to see if that would solve the problem and if nothing had changed by Monday I agreed to see a doctor about it.  Aches & pains are one thing, not being able to move a joint is another.

Sunday I woke up with the same pain & clicking, but by the end of the day both had disappeared.  Not sure if it is a coincidence or if it actually was the flip-flops!  So I'm going to avoid the flops for another week and then bringing them back & see what happens.

Anyone have any insight into this?

No comments:

Post a Comment