Tuesday, November 19, 2013

To Run or Not To Run...

Whelp...you've most definitely noticed an absence in my running.  I have some good reasons behind it.

I found out I was pregnant in September and hadn't run for several weeks and when I did it was sporadic.  The rule with exercise and pregnancy is that you can continue with anything you're accustomed to doing on a regular basis but you shouldn't add anything new.  Since I had been out of running for so long, my doctor and I decided that I should wait until I was out of my first trimester before I added a bit of running back into my schedule.

My situation has changed (you can read about it here if you want to - I'm not really addressing it on this blog), and now I have two more weeks of "rest" ahead of me before I can slowly add on some running time.  My dilemma is this:  I should get clearance to run again on Dec. 2nd and there is a race that I really, REALLY want to do again this year (Burlington Twp's Race For The Hungry Holiday 5K).  Both Wifey & I did it last year and had a blast!

I've pulled races out of my butt before in the past, but I haven't seriously run anything since July.  And it was awful.  That would be 5 months of no running and 5 DAYS to prepare for a 5K.  Clearly my expectations should be low, if anything at all.
  1. Finish
  2. Run the whole thing (not likely)
And really, that would be it.  Anything more than that is 100% unrealistic.  I think I'm looking at hoping to get through a mile of running at a time with decent walks in-between.

So what do you think?  Should I register?

No comments:

Post a Comment