Monday, February 18, 2013

...And Sickness Takes All

Well!!  It's been an interesting few weeks!  There were several runs in-between my last blog & this one that I didn't recap but I have not been as on top of my running as I would have liked.  The girl turned 4 which is incredible to me, and I haven't run in over 2 weeks because this stomach virus has been going through our house & my family has been dropping like flies! 

Now that the stomach part seems to be leaving, we've all got this head/chest cold settling in.  But I wasn't going to let that stop me from running.  This morning was the first opportunity I've had in 2 weeks to get a run in and I wasn't going to miss it!  Sure, I haven't had any sleep in over 2 weeks (average of 2 hours a night when I'm lucky, some none at all!), and yeah I'm hacking up a lung and I can't breathe through my nose.  But I have a race to prepare for!  And it's in less than a month!!

My time was limited because wifey had to get ready for work so I knew I wasn't in for 3 miles.  In fact, I figured on just a mile so that I can get in some of my other exercises too.  My goal wasn't speed, it was just to get moving again.  I was struggling to breathe and exhausted so I wasn't trying to prove anything to anyone.  I just needed to get moving again.

I did a quarter mile warmup walk and then jogged for a mile.  I haven't jogged this slow in quite a while - the one mile took me 11:58!  But I don't think I could have handled any faster today.  I wish I had more time to do more because I felt like I was just hitting my groove again when I had to stop.  Oh well - maybe I'll get more time tonight.  Wifey is leaving for business again this week so my run time is going to be limited so I have to squeeze in as much as I can while she's here.  Hopefully this chest cold won't last long so that I can start working on speed again and get ready for race day!  Either way, it felt great to get moving again!  Hopefully sickness is over for the rest of the winter - I think we have more than paid our dues for the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment