Thursday, October 18, 2012

Training Day 4.2

Today's run was a surprise, and a very welcome one at that :)  Wifey was away at the beginning of the week so it was near impossible to find the time to run whilst flying solo, and the boy is teething something awful so there was no sleep for 3 days.  Literally, I accumulated zero hours of sleep between Sunday night & Wednesday morning.  So energy levels were pretty low too.

But today the boy fell asleep right before lunch, and when he was still down after the girl and I ate lunch, I decided to take my chances and try to get a run in.  I knew going into it that I might be interrupted, but I wanted to at least try to get any kind of activity in that I could.  Lucky for me, he stayed down long enough for me to finish everything & shower!!

So today's workout was run for 1:30, walk for 2:00.  Since it's been a while since my last run I didn't push it any faster than a 7 today, however for every other "walk" section I decided to run it out at a 6 instead of walk.  Originally I wanted to not walk at all but by the time the second "walk" section came around I was dying!  So I did every other, and I'm happy with that.  I think I might continue to do that too.  Going down to a walk sometimes makes it more difficult to get started again, but also only slowing down to a 6 doesn't really give me a chance to recover from the faster runs either.  So I felt like this was a nice balance because I'm so afraid that I'm going to lose the endurance to run 3.1 miles while trying to make myself faster!

Fun stats: 
  • I ran the first mile in under 9 minutes!!  I don't remember what the exact time was because I walked for 5 minutes right before I ran, so I was trying to do math in my head while keeping track of my numbers, but I hit 1.3 miles at just under 14 minutes (subtract 5:00 from the time because I walked for 5:00, and the distance from that was somewhere between 0.25 & 0.3, so we'll go with 0.3 to make sure I actually ran the full mile).  So that's exciting for me - I've never done that before!!  My fastest mile (to my knowledge) was during the Spotswood 5K and it was about 9:30, so yay!!
  • I hit 3.124 miles at 35:00.  Again, recalculating for my warm-up & cool-down walks, a total of 10:00 for time and about 0.6 miles for distance, so 2.524 miles in 25:00 and that gives me a pace of about 9.904.
I think these are OK-ish numbers - I really have no idea, so I'll keep track of them here to see how they improve or decrease as I move further into the program.

The sad news is that I am probably not going to be able to register for the December 1st race :(  We made some financial blunders in the past few weeks and now cash is a little scarce for now so paying a registration fee is not priority.  However, if things start to look up more over the past few weeks I will see if I can still join.  Fingers crossed everyone (and send excess money vibes please!!)  But I am going to train like I am running on the 1st anyway because I hope to be able to actually participate.

With that said, the next 2 runs are the same as today's workout.  If I can increase myself to keep running at a 6 for all of the "walk" sections I will be happy :)

1 comment:

  1. Aww, bummer about the race. Which one was it? Fingers crossed and financial thoughts coming your way!!

    ReplyDelete